eCode for posting images

in Site Feedback & Ideas

Male
326 posts

seraph • 12 February 2019 at 11:24 AM

I just learned today that we can't post images and... I don't really see a reason for that?
I finally started to build my creature's characters and not being able to add images just defeats the whole thing.

Female
1,395 posts

iris1929578 • 20 February 2019 at 9:18 PM

@samaritan

I think it's so we can't post inappropriate pictures.

Male
326 posts

seraph • 20 February 2019 at 11:18 PM

@iris1929578
hmmm... We can easily post inappropriate text, but that doesn't seem to be a problem. An inappropriate image would be easier to identify and to be taken down by staff.

Female
4,845 posts

newlife • 20 February 2019 at 11:21 PM

@samaritan

The other thing could be coding it into the system.

Do you take jpg or png? Or is it uploading photos only? Can the server handle that sort of pressure if you have multiple people doing it? Should you allow it within PMs as well, or only dedicated to forums?

There's a lot more than just sticking that into forums, and it could get complicated fast, especially for a small team such as on Eggcave.

Male
326 posts

seraph • 21 February 2019 at 10:16 AM

@newlife

There's no way to know what the coding limitations are, that's why this is a suggestion. And yes, I know it's not simple.
Usually BB code for images just read the url, no matter what format. The image doesn't get uploaded to the servers. And yes, it would work in any area eCode is allowed.

Female
4,845 posts

newlife • 21 February 2019 at 10:30 AM

@samaritan

It could definitely be added, but that is to the discretion of Ian. And yes, I am aware how BB codes work, but some forums do allow you to upload pictures to the server.

I think part of the reason this would be hard to implement, not impossible, is because most forums use vBulletin, which is pre-coded with allowing users to upload pictures or use BB codes to put pictures in.

It is definitely possible to allow people to upload pictures, but I don't -believe- it'll be implemented, at least not in the near future. Maybe later, especially with creature suggestions becoming quite prominent in allowing creature designs, but as it stands now, I think it'll be hard on Ian trying to figure it out and debug, at least for now.

Male
326 posts

seraph • 21 February 2019 at 11:48 AM

@newlife

I totally see your point. Specially because it is not really... necessary at the moment.
As I mentioned on my original post, I want this so I can show my character designs on my eggs profile but I
also understand that's not the main point of the site or the community.

Well I can keep hoping for the future, I'll keep the suggestion around just in case. ^^

2,251 posts

yts • 27 August 2019 at 3:59 PM

@samaritan
Just in this moment I was going to open a topic talking about this, then I saw yours, I would totally love this feature, I would love to see creatures art and such all around egg cave!

Female
370 posts

megamisama90 • 28 August 2019 at 11:25 AM

I agree with @yts ^^