Do you remember?

in Chit-Chat

Cis Female
620 posts

armageddondoll • 28 January 2019 at 8:46 AM

So! The point of this is to take a walk down memory lane with fellow oldies, as well as let newbies see what Egg Cave was like in the past for all of us. Egg Cave has been around for almost a decade! And a lot has changed since then.

Keep it copacetic and lets go!

I remember the overnight method and the old cave. Way back you could still look at eggs after your tries were up, and if you saw one you wanted, you left it sit until you had tries again. Back then, eggs wouldn't be there after you looked at them like they are now, either.

I remember before you could send people travels, you had to either hope you found it for yourself, or find someone you trusted that had one, and you traded your creature so they could put that travel on for you. (I am SO thankful for item trading and sending!)

I remember the old feeds. There used to be 3 food items at the top instead of the feed button, which was pretty cute because it made it seem like you were feeding your pet that specific food.

@muppet
@mairbear
@novrain62
@piucca

Female
4,591 posts

mastergemma • 19 March 2019 at 8:28 AM

@armageddondoll

I remember the overnight method and the old cave. Way back you could still look at eggs after your tries were up, and if you saw one you wanted, you left it sit until you had tries again. Back then, eggs wouldn't be there after you looked at them like they are now, either.

Wot.

That definitely changed before I joined but that would have been really fun. I'm so happy that travels are tradeable now, it was sorely needed and I have nothing but praise for its arrival. I vaguely remember the different images for the feed button but I cannot really picture it, but then I can barely remember the old layout.

I miss the Asteroid event, it was so fun and I loved the mining ❤️

Deleted • 19 March 2019 at 9:21 AM

I remember how sending CC before was pretty risky, especially when trading. Good thing vouchers are a thing now to make CC trading more secure. It's also great that there is now an established conversion rate for CC and EC (1 CC = 10,000). The arbitrary exchange rates sort of discouraged me from trying to get CC before.

I remember how I had to log in every single day to feed my cove to prevent it from dying out. Thankfully there's Leaf of Vaka now and as soon as I found out about such item in the Cash Shop, I immediately went on a feeding frenzy just to get it, in case I disappear for an unknown number of years again. Resurrection Stones are awesome stuff too.

I remember those times when creature auctions were done in the forums (I was and still an auction addict haha). It really was a struggle to keep track of stuff back then.

(And yes, the food items that you click on when feeding creatures! Those stuff really made me feel hungry whenever I logged in to do feeds.)

Demiboy
779 posts

blub • 19 March 2019 at 9:28 AM

I remember the first monthly (it was frog creature and a dragonfly creature, can't remember the names).
I loved the idea that there would be an LE creature anyone could try to get through the cave instead of events or CC creatures 😸

And omg yes, the daily feeding, (still feed almost daily thou 😋) and how long it could take to get your creatures back to 100 happiness after missing a day or two.

I remember when you had to adopt every egg you got because you couldn't see what creature you adopted 😊

Female
3,757 posts

sparklefox • 19 March 2019 at 9:46 AM

I remember the fun experience of feeding a cove back before the next / previous creature arrows were implemented. I also remember people never feeding my cove because I always had almost 100 creatures and that was considered very large back then. ;p

I don't think I remember those food icons, but I remember a random picture of a food item appearing alongside your creature saying something like "My favourite!" when you clicked on the feed button. Perhaps I'm just remembering something wrong, or I wasn't here early enough for that.

I also remember the Ghosty plot and my young and dumb brain getting very confused by everything. It was so obvious, how did I not figure it out? I also remember being too scared to do anything for MyLights... even though I couldn't do it anyway because I didn't have a camera.

I certainly also remember about people mentioning the overnight method in blog posts (before the forums were even a thing), even though I couldn't actually do it because I wouldn't have been allowed to keep the computer on overnight!

I'll probably edit this later with more memories because I don't have lots of time right now and my brain is failing me.

Female
4,591 posts

mastergemma • 28 March 2019 at 7:41 PM

@gunnhild
Oh gosh I remember those forum auctions! I don't understand why people still do it when using EC though... CC I understand though and I hope CC auctions are never implemented.

@blub
The frog is the Lissam and is one of my favourite creature designs! Were there always a lot of creatures in the adoption agency since you had to adopt them all? I will never miss having to feed my creatures to stay alive. Now I can ensure they remain alive with little effort and focus on evolving whatever I want.

@sparklefox
The overnight method for what?

Female
3,757 posts

sparklefox • 28 March 2019 at 8:10 PM

@mastergemma - The overnight method for the very old cave back in V1. Don't quote me on this because I never did it, but it involved something like looking at creatures after you had already used up your ten steal attempts, then leaving the tab open overnight when you found something you wanted.

Deleted • 29 March 2019 at 7:20 AM

@mastergemma What I meant was people literally auctioning off creatures on the forums since the Auctions feature was still nonexistent. But seriously people auction off EC in the forums? O_o

Female
2,351 posts

dragrawr • 26 April 2019 at 12:55 AM

The asteroid event made me love this site.

4,672 posts

icymuffin • 26 April 2019 at 2:04 AM

Goodness, this brings back memories. I had completely forgotten about the overnight method. I remember how excited we were to have discovered that method. Finally, we could guarantee that we'd at least be able to get one creature.

And trades then were based on a trust system. There were instances of scammers who would create accounts that looked similar in spelling and attempt to claim trades for themselves.

I remember when the site's first color theme was a dark, dark, green and grey, it felt like you were actually in a cold cave. And the profile's setup was essentially a list of creatures in three columns and profile posts were in another column off to the right of the list. Larger coves would stretch down for what felt like forever. Then the version that followed was blindingly bright and looked much more similar to this version than the first.

And how'd all the users would gather in the site blog and use it as the forum because that was the only option. When new exciting stuff got posted, it was easy for the direction of the conversation to quickly shift and your comment get swept away. Every once in a while a bunch of users would plot to finally get the total number of posts to 1000, we'd wait for particularly good opportunities for this to happen. But at the same time, there were periods where the website didn't update for weeks or months at a time.

And following the Balrogipuwet event, there wasn't really anything similar til the Asteroid plot. But a few particularly inventive users created and hosted their own plots in between.

Non-binary
1,428 posts

asrieldreemurr • 11 May 2019 at 10:37 AM

Yeah, I remember the food icons. I dont think the user shops were there? And I adopted every creature I saw, I think I had over 300 and had to enlarge it. No one fed my cove....

Female
196 posts

gumiho710 • 15 June 2019 at 6:40 AM

Posting to bring back this thread haha It's hard to find anyone online these days, especially old users : (

I remember when the Mo was the rarest creature you could get! I'd log in first thing everyday and take all 10 eggs in the cave just to see which one was a Mo in disguise haha It was super tedious because idk why but EC loaded super slowly back then ; _ ; it was probably just my wifi though lmao

I also remember that there was a Snawler flash game in the works? Or was it just made for fun? I'm not sure if I remember correctly but I think @ Ian made it hahah

I miss when the TC had that 25 (?) recent trades tab as well.. bc it made it easier for me to see who was online :' )

I'm really bummed out that Eggcave isn't as lively as before anymore : ( I kinda miss getting random comments or pings as well and talking about anything and everything with almost everyone.. Idk if anyone does this anymore but I remember letting my creatures have a "sleepover" or smth in my friend's coves 😋 I remember a bunch of stuff mentioned here as well and it really brought back tons of memories hhh

Female
472 posts

flakes • 15 June 2019 at 8:33 AM

@gumiho710 omg i remember the Mo being the rarest in the cave and same I always mention how i feel like there just isn't as much activity compared to before and people that have quit don't drop back in anymore ☹️ I remember messaging a couple of old users that I used to be friends with and it has been idk like 2-3 years and still waiting for a reply, feel free to message me if you are ever bored on this site ^^

Female
196 posts

gumiho710 • 16 June 2019 at 2:07 AM

@kdxu

Aww thank you! ❤️ I did the same to the friends I used to have on here but most of them quit already : ( You can message me anytime as well! 😃 ❤️

4,672 posts

icymuffin • 16 June 2019 at 3:30 AM

@gumiho710
Ah! I remember the Snawler game, I’m sure that was a user made game, by @Meteoroid I believe?

I’ve been on here for too long as well, plenty of friends have gone and left. It was nice though, while it lasted. So many users have changed their usernames over the years it’s a blur.

@kdxu
You’re both right, it does seem quieter, though I can’t tell if it’s because I'm less active or something else, haha

Hm, nowadays blog updates are just about items and such. Maybe it’s that? It felt like way back, each blog post was relatively significant and each and every time a large number of users would gather to discuss it, or whatever the topic got sidetracked to 😋

Male
682 posts

decay • 12 July 2019 at 10:43 AM

I'm not a super old user but like I remember a couple interesting things...

I remember when the Jester egg was worth like 10kcc because rebirths weren't a thing and it was an april fools joke creature
and only a few people thought of freezing it before getting that one fateful view... xD
Also, I remember freezing your creature was a huge decision because there was no going back once it was last stage and I ended up keeping a lot of eggs for that reason

I remember being not being selected for the beta of the item trades and being triggered
and then being selected for the click exchange beta and have it be such a wonderful experience because my eggs would hatch so quickly
Also, item and creature trades were separate

I remember the asteroid plot and using my 1st Stage Rencup to battle the Mama Pareteorsite ( I don't think I beat it actually)

I remember having to keep my cove fed or else my creatures would die if they weren't immortal before the LOV it honestly kept me feeding users because I was scared of my creatures dying xD

I remember when 50cc wasn't a thing and it was just 500cc and basically you do a lot of IOU's or trade freezes

I REMEMBER STRUGGLING TO EXPLAIN THINGS IN WALLS BECAUSE THE WORD LIMIT WAS SMALL and PM's needed like 90 seconds to refresh

I remember the Baistay egg's redesign and how angry I was because I loved the first design and spent 2k cc
The redesign was so different and the baistay lost like 50% of it value so quickly

I also remember when the cave used to glitch and allow for unlimited cave attempts for about 5 minutes which led to interesting stuff happening xD

I remember the Oasis being introduced and people thought retired creatures would be in it but endangered species were introduced and I got a Drakomo which I was so happy about

Lastly, I remember we had to offer creatures with EC offers so you had to keep junk eggs around xD