Creature Suggestion: Whippersnapper

in Fan Art & Creature Suggestions

What do you think of this creature?

Non-binary
9 posts

teakitty • 9 August 2018 at 4:01 PM

#creaturesuggestion
(Sorry for bad drawing quality :/ I would draw on paper but my phone is broken right now. I had to draw on MS Paint with a mouse. Maybe I will be able to replace this later with a better quality drawing. And actually color it. Gee golly me. I suck at drawing so, yeah, sorry.)
https://s8.postimg.cc/61v33sr2t/Whippersnappers.png

* About Whippersnapper Eggs
Whippersnapper eggs, when first laid, are smooth with a bright glowing stripe going through the middle. The mothers leave soon after laying the eggs, leaving them to fend for themselves. Whippersnapper eggs are the most vulnerable at this stage as they are easily spotted (especially in dark areas, where they are laid) and easily eaten with no protection. However, as the egg ages/grows (whatever fits better) the creature inside develops spikes that puncture the sides of the egg. Soon enough, its tail will grow long enough it punctures through the egg too, with added spikes. This makes the egg inedible once developed.
* About the Whippersnapper Creature
When Whippersnappers hatch, they instantly start to hunt, relying on senses other than hearing due to them being deaf. Their bioluminescent stripe attracts moths and other insects attracted to light. Eventually they will have eaten enough that they start to puke up mucus which they will roll in to create a cocoon to settle inside. After this "metamorphosis" they will lose their stripe, scales, and spikes, but have the gift of flight and hearing instead, along with a light layer of fur. Due to their insectivorous diet and small size, they make popular pets in areas with insect problems.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

So originally I had this super long about but I decided "here let's do just a shortened version" but I have the original here for anyone who is curious 😊
Hatchlings of the Whippersnapper (in the wild) often start by hitting their egg with their spiked tail (this always occurs during night). This will quickly allow them to hatch, where they will instantly start seeking food. Their glowing stripe helps attract moths and other insects (or possibly predators) that they will eat. Whippersnappers are deaf (despite their head spikes looking like ears, they are spikes, /not/ ears) at this stage and rely on their sense of smell, sight, and sense of touch to hunt. Once they have eaten enough, they will puke up mucus made from anything they ate that couldn't become energy or fat. They will 'roll' in this mucus, creating a layer of sticky slime on their scales, and curl up into a cocoon-like shape and, literally, become a cocoon as the slime expands and hardens. Their body and head spikes will puncture holes which will allow them to breathe, while their tail spikes poke out. They stay this way for a month or so, before finally breaking through this shell as an adult. Whippersnappers have lost their spikes, scales, and bioluminescent stripes in exchange for ears, wings, tail feathers, and fur in this stage. However, they still hunt bugs, and can be seen zooming about at dusk catching mosquitoes and any other bugs they can get their mouths on. They are fairly popular pets especially in areas where there are many insects, and are easy to care for as they hunt for themselves. Whippersnappers are also easily tameable even if they lived in the wild previously.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I would say they would grow mainly with feeds.
yeah.. bleh. I'm not sure what colors they'd have, but I would guess dark colors (except for the stripe as eggs and hatchlings) and no pattern whatsoever as an adult (or at least one thats not really fancy). Please tell me what you think!

Female
285 posts

asteria • 27 August 2018 at 2:01 PM

@teakitty I'm sorry that nobody commented on your suggestion. The description is pretty interesting, I preffer the longer version myself. I really like the creature 😊

If you can't draw, you can always search for a collab partner to make the drawing. Don't look at me, I'm terrible too and I relied on other people with making drawings for my suggestions. Also, ping people 😊 Most of them is not gonna mind checking out your suggestion and you will be able to get some feedback. Good luck 😊