New profiles' design rant

in General

Female
535 posts

katrinwolf • 20 March 2018 at 2:20 PM

Before I say anything: I really like EggCave and appreciate the work the EggCave Team does, this is in no way meant as a personal attack on any of them. Also, there'll probably be many people with a different opinion, and I'm aware of that. ALSO also, it's a rant - meaning lots of screaming and mentions of Yeeps and possibly few coherent sentences, and I'm sorry about that.
Now
WHAT THE YEEPTAIL?
I haven't been a fan of the new design before, that's true, but I used to cut it a lot of slack thinking it's largely just my "it was better before" way of thinking. But now with the new creature profiles... I can't really hold it in anymore. I'm not a designer, that's true, but from my Average Joe point of view it just doesn't make any sense! Why move the creature name to the side? Do we really need that beautiful blank space in the middle? That means when clicking through the cove you're most likely missing it completely, as it's too far away from where you're actually looking. Did the creature images become even smaller or do they seem so because of masses of blank space around them? Why on Earth, with all that blank space, did the font for the name, species and cove number (especially number, does it battle anorexia?) become even smaller? I don't even have that bad of an eyesight, and my eyes are still VERY unhappy about that. Okay, I don't even care about profile texts being shoved down under everything anymore - guess most people have stopped reading them long long ago. But please, explain me, why, when we come to the creature's profile, what we see first is a giant yeeping blue button and a giant cucumber of happiness (god that sounds wrong), and only then we notice the teeny-tiny creature and its name curled up in the corner? I see, the giant Feeding button probably makes sense in the mobile version - but in the full version, you only probably use 30% of that button. And I tried. I really tried. But I can't think of a SINGLE reason we need the Happiness bar this big. It would've made some sense if it made any difference whether the creature's happiness was 80% or 90% - but it doesn't! Heck, a simple number in a coloured circle would've sufficed - it's easy enough to notice the dangerously low happiness because of the colour, and if you need the exact number, you look a second longer and there it is. It really really doesn't deserve to be the center of attention and occupy as much space as it does - it does less good than a Yeep in a science lab!
And I've tried the mobile version just now. Same complaints. Small text with giant empty spaces, anorexic numbers that blur in your eyes... and why is the creature to the left HERE? Okay, that's just... preposterous. Everything else is in the middle, and the most important part - the creature itself - is out of line of sight? There's NOTHING there on the right! There really is NOTHING! There's enough empty space there to fit a second creature - why do we need it there? Why is it the only thing that's not centered? Why the Zigzag of Sight? Why, why, why? Why the Yeep?
I love you EggCave. I really do, and I'm not going to quit because of the design choices. But in all seriousness, how is that a change for the better?