Chuchel: Comedy, Adventure, Puzzles, Challenges game.

in Entertainment

Male
11 posts

borovan • 13 March 2018 at 10:13 PM

CHUCHEL is a comedy adventure game from the creators of Machinarium, Botanicula and Samorost. Join the hairy hero Chuchel and his rival Kekel as they will be facing numerous puzzles and challenges on their quest to retrieve the precious cherry!

The reward? Cheerful situational humor, wild music and sounds by the band DVA and dozens of hilarious gags that warm up even the coldest of souls. Plus cherries!

• Crack up. Many times
• Guide Chuchel through a set of original puzzles
• Enjoy hundreds of whimsical animations
• Beat stages inspired by classic video games
• Interact with dozens of funky characters
• Please your ears with soundtrack by the IGF Award-winning band DVA
• Build an inexplicable passion for cherries
• Laugh. A lot.

This is the "story" of a furry black . . . thing . . . named "Chuchel" that strives to eat a cherry as big as it is, while a hand from the sky and something like a grape-rat also vie for its succulent fruity flesh. Its just a series of 1 and occasionally 2-room puzzles that range in difficulty from clicking on the only character in the screen, to multi-stage set-ups, to basic platforming, to simplified recreations of classic games like Tetris and Pac Man.

And throughout all of this, at the forefront of each white void that is the Chuchel world, is is one weirdly clever design after another, and it's glorious. Picture the weirdness of Botanicula but no longer restrain the artists with adhering to a nature aesthetic--include things such as anthropomorphized kitchen products, combative teeth, a living egg-monster that you have to break open, grim reapers that just want to have fun, and so much more. This game is worthwhile just for the strangeness of its inhabitants.

This is perhaps the easiest Amanita game to date. There's no inventory, puzzles are restricted to the smallest places, most "levels" aren't even puzzles but "click to continue" sequences, and the mini-games are some of the most relaxed and non-punishing. For example, I was playing a sort of Tetris game, had to step away for a few moments, and the minigame finished itself without my input.

The minimalist interface and approach to difficulty work well together, such that you really should never feel stuck or lacking direction. But, if you do pause at a puzzle, there's a convenient hint system available!

If you are a fan of Amanita, especially Botanicula and its whimsy, then you'll adore this too. It's just a simple 2 hours of fun.

The cutest disturbing game I've ever played!

My Rating: 5/5

Have you played Chuchel or watched YouTubers play it?