How do you make a good rp?

in Roleplaying

Deleted • 11 March 2018 at 11:56 PM

Can I have some tips about it?

also, i'm gonna re-use this topic for a rp called Dakota Lab. It's about- let's just say we r scientists. But I need help.. None of my rp's are thriving and I never read the warriors series so I can't make a warrior cat rp!

Gender Fluid
1,075 posts

thebrokenvibe • 12 March 2018 at 12:28 AM

I don't think it's anything on your part. I've seen a steady decline on people joining huge genres of roleplays recently, they mostly seem to want to join warriors suff as me and one other user have put up sci-fi and fantasy stuff and that hasn't gotten a whole lot of traction.

Regardless I can recommend when making ideas seeing things that interest others, maybe pinging some of the others who prefer to do a wider genre of stuff. Aside from that maybe you can also just review to make sure there isn't too much exposition but enough information to know what's happening when making threads. If all else fails, just try and make sure there isn't any massive walls of dense text.

There isn't a sure fire way to guarantee people will join as I've made threads that people were asking about a while back and had no one join so it just depends on interest of others and most likely how long it takes for others to read through your stuff.

6 posts

weaselcave • 1 April 2018 at 5:41 PM

No Warriors threads! Too many of those.
To make a “good” RP, you have to develop a world’s aspects do they fit together and make sense.
No guarantee of people joining, however.

Female
2,186 posts

hashtagnight • 2 April 2018 at 2:50 AM

For me, making a good roleplay doesn't come out of thin air. It often requires a lot of thinking and adjusting. One good idea would be making a roleplay with an interesting title and unique concept.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of Warriors on the forums. It used to be very diverse with fantasy and more, but the main roleplayers of that genre died out.

Having too much lore makes the roleplay too confusing, having too little makes it too boring. If you want to make a lore-heavy roleplay, it's recommended to make these lore stuff spread throughout the roleplay, because nobody but me and a few wants to see a wall of text. Nothing kills a roleplay than having a lot of interesting texts and then someone responding with "okay."

I used to make somewhat popular fantasy roleplays here (the one involving everybody having memory loss that i forgot the name and Enigmisphere popped into my head) but even those died out. Again, the traction depends on your audience. On a fantasy roleplay I made on a seperate forum, there was 529 posts before it started to come to a halt. A few weeks/a month later, I created a sequel to this roleplay and it's still going on.

In other words, I believe the popularity and traction of a roleplay will just depend on the audience. Just follow what your audience wants and you might get a ton of people joining you in the blink of an eye.

Female
8 posts

hazelscar • 15 April 2018 at 3:20 PM

First of all, I must say that although I am new to EggCave, I am not new to roleplaying. I also have been looking for a roleplay that doesn't revolve around Warriors, as there seems to be a lot of them lately.

Here is what I think:

-- For the amount of text: I would say that making sure that the roleplay's description is a "medium" length. I don't know too many people that would love to read a huge wall of text as it can get boring. Though, I and a couple of my friends don't really seem to like the topic of a roleplay to be too short. It can seem under-developed. Finding that right balance between too short and too long is sometimes the key.
-- I will also say that if you need larger amounts of texts, that splitting it between categories and not making it mandatory to read can also help as well.

-- I would also say having a medium size group would help as well. Having a roleplay with a lot of people can become chaotic and annoying. (I personally don't like having 100 notifications from one thread).

-- Speaking of audience, it seems like people are interested in roleplays with actual plots. You don't share the whole plot you have in mind, but it seems like most aren't just casual "slice of life" ones anymore. Even an open-ended plot is okay. Explaining it a little can help attract people.

-- This is sort of a side thing, but here I go. I don't know how much you know about coding, or how easy it is to do here, but on other websites that I am on, I find that those that have a little decoration seem to get more attention. I experienced this with a roleplay that I created. It got no attention at all, but when I remade it, adding only a little decoration, it got a lot of attention.

-- Here are a couple small tips.
-- Putting OPEN or ACCEPTING or both in all caps can help let others know that it's okay to join. (put this in the topic title)
-- Every now and then (I do this about once or twice a day) make a post that says "bump" or something along those lines. This actually moves you to the top of the list of roleplay topics. A new set of eyes could see it and become interested. keep doing this for a while, and make sure to delete past "bump" post so it doesn't become overcrowded.

@wolfspike23 - I hope this helps some!