Bank is annoying (deposit and interest collection)...

in Help & Questions

264 posts

snowwall • 18 February 2018 at 7:46 AM

Any idea why we can add/withdraw money to the bank many times during the day, but the interest collection will be wrecked by this? Why can't I add money and then collect interest?!

(And Doovoo knows, I collect interest very rarely and it's only 100EC or so, but the principle of the thing! I can't collect a mere 100 coins because I've deposited half a million today, really?)

Female
1,636 posts

minnie298a • 19 February 2018 at 7:34 PM

@snowwall
It's the way it's been for as long as I can remember, and Eggcave is not the only site I play on that uses a bank with the same principal. I suspect it's got something to do with encouraging saving or something. Really, I haven't thought that much about the why, just accepted it as the conditions to earn free EC.

Female
219 posts

bribri1114845 • 19 February 2018 at 8:15 PM

I don't even use the bank anymore since the interest is negligible, and nothing can happen to your EC if it's out anyway. Also, so I can snag thief shop eggs. 😋 But yeah, not being able to collect interest if you've deposited that day is the same on Neopets, I'm not sure why, but I never found it to be an issue.

Female
2,344 posts

nkiay • 19 February 2018 at 8:21 PM

I don't understand why it doesn't collect interest automatically when you log in.

Female
4,575 posts

wigglytuff • 19 February 2018 at 8:33 PM

@nkiay that would be GREAT xD

They should do that. Maybe there would be a notification like the sign in on?

264 posts

snowwall • 24 September 2018 at 12:35 AM

@nkiay, Yep, that would be neat!
Today I've tried to collect my 0 interest. It said "You need to deposit at least one EC". I did, now I can't get any interest - "Made a transaction today". What was the point?!

Non-binary
1,088 posts

moonweaver • 27 September 2018 at 8:46 PM

@snowwall

I think the reason for that is because then certain users could put all their money (which could something like 50mil) and then get a ton of interest.

Female
4,845 posts

newlife • 27 September 2018 at 8:57 PM

As moonweaver said, the reason it was added was because users would put all of their ED into the bank, do the daily interest pull, then take out their EC. It was implemented to stop this from occurring, as many, many, people were guilty of this.

264 posts

snowwall • 27 September 2018 at 11:26 PM

@newlife @moonweaver
So, you're suggesting that the bank is there to discourage people from using money? o_O Still don't see the point, but, well, whatever floats their duck.
Anyway, what's to stop the rich from leaving 45M in the bank, 5M on hand (for Thief shop and such) and getting nearly the same effect? If they really need the whole lot of cash, they'll just forfeit the day's interest and withdraw. To stop that, we'd need to outright ban more than one withdrawal/deposit a day. But then nobody will visit the bank at all, just in case they suddenly need the money.

Female
4,845 posts

newlife • 28 September 2018 at 12:01 AM

@snowwall

That's not what I'm getting at. It's to encourage people to save, but not to abuse the interest system. That's the whole point of stopping you from getting interest if you deposit/withdraw EC from the bank.

That was what happened before. People were abusing the interest system, so they made it that way. It's not to stop people from using the bank.

Non-binary
1,088 posts

moonweaver • 28 September 2018 at 5:02 PM

@snowwall

I meant like they did it that way so a person can't put ALL their money u the bank, and then get a ton if interest and thentake the money back out. Does that make sense?

264 posts

snowwall • 29 September 2018 at 12:45 AM

@newlife, @moonweaver
I guess I don't see how the fact that I can only collect interest once a day is not enough "abuse prevention". Not sure why collecting interest is any sort of "abuse", either, really. Whether or not I leave it at the bank for a whole day or a few minutes, I only collect the interest once a day, no?

The only difference between "once a day" and "once a day, unless you've touched it" is whether or not I can use that money outside of the collection moment. So, the system encourages the user to not use their money and keep it in the bank. The alternative being not using the bank and getting zero interest, of course.

(My saving strategy is to drop a bit of money in daily. Usually. But with the existing system this means forfeiting the interest. Daily going to the bank to put in money, knowing that the act of saving itself makes me forfeit the return for it (i.e. the interest pennies) is terribly discouraging! So, if that is a hard-cast "feature", I'll just leave the bank for item storage and ignore the money component :/).