Any Book Suggestions?

in Entertainment

1,853 posts

purgatory • 3 February 2018 at 2:41 PM

I'm in dire need of books to read. Kinda sucks for me since I'm really picky when it comes to entertainment, and I can't just read any book. I'm quite tired of searching everywhere for good books, so I'm looking for suggestions.

I don't like Warriors, books related to the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, and books that have ANY type of romance in it. Sorry Dx

I do, however, like classic literature. Fantasy isn't exactly my cup of tea.

Thanks in advance, and I hope you have a great day ❤️

**I also want anime suggestions as well, but no biggie.

Female
219 posts

mythlight • 10 February 2018 at 7:56 PM

@purgatory

Absolutely NO romance? That's very hard to find in a book series.
Here are some of the only books I know without romance in them:
- The dictionary (Although there are the words "romance", "love", and others)
- An Atlas

As for anime, Boku no Hero Academia is getting very popular.

Female
1,089 posts

animalliterature • 10 February 2018 at 8:16 PM

Children books don't have romance.

Most of them.

Female
5,406 posts

Orderedchaos • 10 February 2018 at 10:57 PM

@purgatory
Here's a few suggestions.
-On Basilisk Station by David Weber
-The Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson
-Joust by Mercedes Lackey
-Good Omens by Neil Gaiman & Terry Prachett
-Anything from the Diskworld series by Terry Prachett
-American Gods by Neil Gaiman
-Sabriel by Garth Nix
-Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
-Any of the Earthsea books by Ursula K. Le Guin

Male
3 posts

jericho • 11 February 2018 at 12:35 AM

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls has always been my favorite since years ago.
I never liked my AP English teacher until she had us read that one.

The also just recently made a movie out of it, which is also really great.

Demiboy
2,368 posts

ethereality • 13 February 2018 at 10:55 PM

Just finished some amazing reads in Honors Euro Lit 10 class:

-The Picture of Dorian Gray (Oscar Wilde)
-Madame Bovary (Gustave Flaubert)
-My Brilliant Friend (Elena Ferrante) <---- this is a really good read, my favorite so far PLUS its a series of 4 books
-The Unbearable Lightness of Being (Milan Kundera)
-Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)
-Candide (Voltaire)

Non-binary
1,318 posts

raccoon • 14 February 2018 at 12:11 AM

@purgatory

No book suggestions because everything ive read is fantasy/romance lol. Anime on the other hand... assuming you don't want romance in them either... but they're gonna be fantasy because hey, its anime.

Starting off with the classics, Fullmetal Alchemist & Brotherhood. I guess theres SOME romance? It's secondary to the plot. My favorite anime to date. Absolutely beautiful.

Death note, hoo boy. Does the romance in this count as romance? It's onesided and manipulative/abusive. Either way, death gods, killer notebooks, detectives oh my.
(Psycho Pass is another good one if you liked/have already seen Death Note. Sci-fi dystopia with no romance. Has a similar detective theme.)

Attack on Titan. I'm shocked if anyone hasn't at least HEARD of this one. Kind of some romance?? For like, one episode between side characters? Blood, fighting, titans, whats not to like?

Haikyuu!! is a sports anime. Absolutely adore it and I don't even like sports. Highschool Volleyball team makin friends and going to nationals. No romance, no fantasy. Really enjoyable.

Mob Psycho 100 is really good despite what you might think of the art. Psychic kid is extremely powerful, doesn't like to use his powers much. Tries to improve himself to impress a girl he likes. (Despite this, no romance.) Funny and relatable.

One Punch Man. Pretty much a superhero parody. Guy who is a 'hero for fun' can defeat any enemy with a single punch. He's bored to death because of it. (Same creator of Mob Psycho, anime by a different studio)

Death Parade oh man. This anime touched me big time. Kind of episodic with a plot going on in the background. Some romance?? Kind of?? Not really between main characters. Very thought provoking.

Boku no Hero Academia. Superhero kids at a superhero school!! Whats not to like? Kid born in a world full of powers doesn't have one himself. He's bullied relentlessly for it and yet his dream is to be a hero despite it all.

I'd list more but a lot of the stuff I watch has romance... or wasnt that good.

1,853 posts

purgatory • 14 February 2018 at 2:54 PM

@raccoon

Thanks for the reccomendations! I haven't watched OPM yet, so I'll add it to my list. Haven't heard of Death Parade, though.

14 posts

copperchange • 24 March 2018 at 11:56 AM

10,000 Leagues under the sea? I imagine you've already read that though. Just fiction or non-fiction as well?

Female
2,022 posts

budgie • 24 March 2018 at 2:18 PM

@purgatory You might like Memoirs of a Geisha? Its one of my favourites. It does contain a bit of romance, but it isnt anywhere near what the draw of the story is. You follow a young girl, who's father couldnt provide for her and her sister anymore and sold them into the city to basically be a servent. If they were lucky, they could train to be a house's Geisha--the money makers of every household. I wont go into too much detail since after this point the story really gets good ^^

Female
191 posts

kiiiiiler • 1 February 2019 at 2:46 PM

I would say one I have in mind but it is fantasy....

Female
5,406 posts

Orderedchaos • 1 February 2019 at 2:51 PM

@nekogirl
Do not bump older, inactive topics. This topic hasn't been posted in in almost a year. Please check the last posts to make sure you're not bringing back a dead topic.

Due to the reason above this topic is now closed.