Writing Club #We'reAwesome

in Entertainment

Do you have a valentine?

Female
1,089 posts

animalliterature • 29 November 2017 at 7:00 PM

Okay, so, I'm crazy about literature. As you can see in my name. Now for all those other people that are crazy about books and literature, I've created a Writing Club (I guess). Here you can display examples of a book you would want to write and see how people react to it (if they enjoy it and encourage it or think it's better left behind.) Oh, and please don't get upset if people didn't like your example. It still gives you an advantage, because now you know what people wouldn't be interested in, and you can learn from that and move on. This is also a place to give others tips on how to improve their writing, grammar, etc.

There will be contests each new month, and there will be a contest to choose at the end of each year which book written in the past year is the best!

This month's contests are:

Make a prediction of this book's plot. "The Girl Who Saved the Corn." The closest one to guess wins 30k EC! You get 35k if you can guess the book it really is, and 35k if you can guess the main character's name!

Guess the book: "??? ??? and the ??? Stone" The one who guesses earns 25k EC!

Current members
@animalliterature
@totallynotjoey
@lazyanon
@wolfkit
@weirdpotatoe
@jlya
@emeraldstar
@wolfspike23
@hooterlee

Female
812 posts

totallynotjoey • 13 December 2017 at 4:34 AM

Well I have to say, I'm a big sucker for books
I would love to join! 😃

Female
1,089 posts

animalliterature • 15 December 2017 at 11:52 AM

@totallynotjoey Sorry for the late reply! I haven't been checking on this much, since I know most people aren't interested. Anyways, added!

Female
812 posts

totallynotjoey • 15 December 2017 at 10:50 PM

@animalliterature oh its fine
Thx!!

1,135 posts

lazyanon • 18 December 2017 at 12:32 PM

may join too? i love books!

Female
1,089 posts

animalliterature • 18 December 2017 at 1:01 PM

@lazyanon sure! I'll add you 😸

Female
434 posts

wolfkit • 26 December 2017 at 3:30 PM

@animalliterature Could I join? I love writing

Female
1,089 posts

animalliterature • 26 December 2017 at 3:31 PM

@wolfkit Sure! We'll start tomorrow, if everyone's fine with that.

2 posts

weirdpotatoe • 28 December 2017 at 2:10 AM

i would also like to join if not too late. I love writing and would love to show what i can do!

Female
1,089 posts

animalliterature • 28 December 2017 at 1:15 PM

@weirdpotatoe Okay, sure! I had forgotten to start yesterday, and anybody's free to join anytime.

@weirdpotatoe
@totallynotjoey
@wolfkit
@lazyanon

Edit:

I've already started it but it's hard to get people to look at it when I barely started it. So anyways, I had the idea to make a dragon book similar to that of the Warriors books, but slightly different. Here's my sample:

Frost padded into the forest. He glanced up, admiring the small shafts of light appearing through the leaves of the trees. Ferns brushed his sides and birds' sing-song filled the air. The soft grass beneath him made him feel as if he were floating on air. It was majestic. Maybe a little too. Grinning contently, and, rather sheepishly, he didn't notice the ferns begin to tilt, weighing down to the ground until he felt a shivering cold as he brushed past one. He glanced at the fern. It bore silver frost. He shrugged, guessing that last Cold Season's cold grip had not released itself on the fern yet.

As he padded on to the unknown destination, his tail began to tingle with cold. He glanced downwards and saw that ice was covering patches of the ground. Blinking confusedly, he continued on, now wary of his frost-covered surroundings. Soon he found himself at the bank of a river that was strangely placid. He reached out a claw to touch it tentatively. His paw seeped with cold as his claw just barely touched a fresh coating of ice above the river.

Frost narrowed his eyes. What was happening? Surely seasons didn't change so quickly! Even if so, it skipped the first three moons of the Cold Season.

Anyone like it?

Female
2,555 posts

jlya • 31 December 2017 at 6:03 PM

@animalliterature, I love it! Also, could I join? I've already told you I like writing a lot. 😊

Female
1,089 posts

animalliterature • 31 December 2017 at 6:07 PM

@jlya Thanks, and sure! 😊

Female
2,555 posts

jlya • 31 December 2017 at 6:10 PM

No problem, @animalliterature, and thanks for letting me join! I'm excited to see where this club goes!

Female
1,089 posts

animalliterature • 31 December 2017 at 6:11 PM

I'll be posting a few more samples of other books I'm planning on writing sometime. Today or tomorrow, probably, maybe Tuesday.

Female
812 posts

totallynotjoey • 31 December 2017 at 7:16 PM

That is one nice sample I have to say 😃
For some reason, every time I write, the first sentence of every one of my stories SUPER long lol

Female
1,089 posts

animalliterature • 31 December 2017 at 7:20 PM

@totallynotjoey Lol and thanks! I'm working on a story right now and I'm looking for a few paragraphs that would be good for a sample.

1,031 posts

emeraldstar • 31 December 2017 at 7:24 PM

@animalliterature Hey I'd be interested in this club. I love writing stories in my spare time.

Female
812 posts

totallynotjoey • 31 December 2017 at 7:26 PM

Is it ok if we post some of our own stories?

Female
1,089 posts

animalliterature • 31 December 2017 at 7:29 PM

@emeraldstar Sure!

@totallynotjoey Mhm, that's what I intended. Anybody can post their own samples.

1,031 posts

emeraldstar • 31 December 2017 at 7:42 PM

So here's a story I've just recently started working on. I need opinions for it. It's going to be a fantasy book. The main character is Valerie (an elf) and her wolf companion Silver. This part is where she meets Silver for the first time.

Valerie moved through the forest, sword in hand. She felt like she was being watched. She turned around to face an empty path, the one she had just come on. Turning back around she was faced by a wolf. A she wolf more specifically. Valerie had always loved wolves. She reached out to stroke the wolf's nose, but the wolf growled. Valerie stepped back, she didn't want to harm an innocent animal in less she had to. That moment of hesitation cost her a lot. The wolf pounced and she blacked out.

Female
1,089 posts

animalliterature • 31 December 2017 at 8:04 PM

@emeraldstar Great! But just like everything, my paragraphs especially, that had a few flaws.

Most people wouldn't exactly react like that. If something approached them when they had not noticed, such as when Valerie was looking back and had turned around to see the wolf, they would most likely be shocked, and probably a little scared.

Also, in the 7th sentence, it would be "unless" instead of "in less."

But otherwise, I love it!

Female
434 posts

wolfkit • 31 December 2017 at 8:23 PM

@emeraldstar I like it but I agree with animal, and also I feel like the wolf would be with a pack too but the wolf could very well be a loner other than that I love it

@animalliterture love it so far!

Female
1,089 posts

animalliterature • 1 January 2018 at 1:19 PM

@wolfkit Thanks!

@wolfkit
@jlya
@emeraldstar
@weirdpotatoe
@totallynotjoey
@lazyanon

Here's a sample from my other book, tell me if there's anything you think would be wrong:

After padding around for quite a while, Cedarnose finally gave up the search and laid down in the hollowed out tree, covering her muzzle with her paws. "I'll never amount to---"

"Yes!" came a howl of triumph. "Stump, I got it! I got it!"

"Stop howling and bring it over here, then, Branch, or you'll scare off the prey from here to the den!" came an irritated reply. Cedarnose watched as a lean, scrawny, wiry he-wolf dragged a small sparrow to another larger, stockier brown he-wolf that was at least three years older than Cedarnose. Suddenly the older he-wolf's head snapped toward the hollowed out tree and he narrowed his eyes.

After gazing at him fearfully for a heartbeat, Cedarnose then lifted her chin and leaped down from the tree, pacing towards the strangers. "What are you doing in my territory?" the he-wolf snorted as she completed her sentence.

"Your territory? From the scents I can tell you barely got here! You're bluffing! I wouldn't be surprised if you barely just came here about a sunrise ago."

"Say, you smell of ForestPack." the younger he-wolf commented. "Are you from the ForestPack?" his voice suddenly trembled, then he seemed to realize that she was same age as him and could attack back.

"You can say that."

"But a ForestPack member would've ripped our throats out by now! And you aren't attacking us."

"No ForestPack member would dare come near me." the older he-wolf growled, flexing his shoulders.

"I left the ForestPack yesterday. They're all a bunch of bear-hearts."

"You can say that again! Just a few moons ago, they---" the he-wolf stopped abruptly as he noticed the older he-wolf glaring at him through the corner of his eye. Inhaling lightly, he continued, "So you're a loner, then?"

"Yes," Cedarnose answered gruffly.

"What's your name?"

"Why do you want to know?"

"Do you want to stand here all day?"

"Fine, I'm Cedarnose."

"Oh, cool! My name's Branch, and don't worry about this grumpy old he-wolf, his name is Stump. He's my uncle---trained me when my father died. My mother didn't have time to because she had to take care of my younger siblings, and everyone else refused to train me because I'm annoying or something. Chatter-fox, they say." Cedarnose smiled. Obviously he was quite the chatter-fox.

"Wait---so you're in a Pack?"

"No, it's just a group of a bunch of rogues and loners. We usually keep to ourselves as families, but we're all ready to stand up for each other in case there's any threat or danger. It's just how it works."

"Branch, we can't have another mouth to feed!" Stump objected sternly, seeming to realize what he had been hinting to.

"She'll be able to hunt, too, or she wouldn't be alive right now, Stump." Branch countered his uncle.

"Well, I would love to join..." Cedarnose's voice trailed off as Stump glared at her.

"Fine. Come on, Branch---and grab the sparrow."

Female
434 posts

wolfkit • 1 January 2018 at 1:53 PM

@animalliterature I like it so far, I don't see anything that needs to be fixed.

1,135 posts

lazyanon • 1 January 2018 at 1:54 PM

@animalliterature I love it

Female
434 posts

wolfkit • 1 January 2018 at 2:00 PM

@lazyanon @animalliterature @emeraldstar @totallynotjoey @jlya @weirdpotatoe

It's a little long, but I want to see what people think.

Prologue

In a land far, far away, there were five kingdoms. Each kingdom was unique to the five different and main animals, (and all other creatures were considered as brutes and not qualified to even exist, these creatures were used as food). Silver the Owl kingdom were the wisest ones although they were stubborn. Pounce the Fox kingdom were quick to interfere and always broke the rules. Lunar the wolf kingdom was prideful and are quick to step in battle. Leap the deer kingdom was by far the gentlest and loyal. And finally, Silence the mouse kingdom was the most vicious they were silent but quick and they were the masters of ambushing and catching the enemy by surprise.

Even though each kingdom could create rules for their own kingdom, (all of these rules were different of course) they all had two very special rules that each kingdom had to follow no matter what. These the first of these rules was to never set paw, hoof, talon, or wing onto the four other kingdoms' territory for if another species did the king or queen of that kingdom could do anything they wanted to do to punish that animal. Most of these punishments ended in severe torture or death. The second rule however was to never mate with another species the very existence of a hybrid stood against everything the kingdoms stood for, and it was demanded that such hybrids, and their parents, were killed immediately or used as slaves in war.

Chapter One

The Cursed Hybrid

In a cave with a small brook beside it (well-hidden from Pounce the Fox kingdom), with two large rocks right beside the cave making a narrow passage over hanged with ivy. A wolf was running toward the cave with a rabbit in his jaws. When the wolf got to his destination at the entrance of the cave he looked from side to side before entering in the small passage where his family slept. Once inside the gray wolf prodded a sleeping pup, "Wake up Slick." His father whispered and nudged the rabbit he was carrying toward the pup and prodded the sleeping pup with his big, black, wet nose playfully.

"What do you want?" The pup groaned half-hardily from the sun's rays that crept up the flat smooth rock that was in the way of the cave. Slick glanced at the two nests of moss beside him and instantly saw that they were both empty "where's Honey and Birch!?!" The pup, Slick said abruptly. He was full awake now and he stared at his father expectantly. "where are they!?!" He demanded again, he didn't like being left out.

His father's voice was sympathetic "we told you last night, your mother took Honey to go into Pounce I took Birch to go into Lunar." "why didn't I go with him?!" Slick wined. His father, Stone, lay down next to him and licked him affectionately "you're not like your sisters or brother you're not like your mother the fox, and you aren't-" Slick cut him off "I am like you though and I am like my mother too!" He pointed

to his foxlike tail with nimble paws and his broad wolf-like face and back. His whole body a dark brown fur with white tufts along his muzzle, paws, and tail.Stone spoke softly "you are different," he began how am I supposed to tell Slick that all four kingdoms were out to kill his kind. "you had a sister," Stone paused hesitating is an example of what will happen if someone finds us good for Slick? Stone thought and finally making up his mind he continued. "her name was Star she was a hybrid like you. Before your mother and I were mates, she mated with another, his name was Lightning. He was from Leap."

"what happened to him?" Slick asked "A patrol from Leap found Lightning and killed him." Stone said not sure whether or not to have said that but it was the truth and Slick deserved to know the truth of what would happen "but why? Lightning was a warrior from Leap, wasn't he?" "yes, he was and they wouldn't have killed him if it wasn't for Star who bounded up against Lightning, she was a hybrid and hybrids were against everything the kingdoms stood for. As he struggled to protect Star he was killed, and Star was taken away." "what happened to Star?" Slick asked shocked "no one knows." Stone said quietly "but she is probably dead." They were both quiet Stone wondering whether or not he should have told Slick his mother's story, and Slick trying to process it all.

At that very moment there was a yip heard outside the cave with a dull thud followed after it. Stone put his paw on Slick's tail to tell him to be quiet. As he quietly moved into the mouth of the cave out into the forest. There was another yip and then a howl, that Slick knew came from his father. And all was quiet, except for rustling in the leaves. His paws ached to go see what happened, and his heart begged him to move forward, but every instinct in his body told him to hide overpowering his heart.

Female
1,089 posts

animalliterature • 1 January 2018 at 2:01 PM

Thanks for the support! Anyways, I was thinking of adding a little addition, like if people wanted to do more than just samples. They would post chapters, see how people like them, etc. But first you would have to see if they like samples. I'll type the books that are being created in the group, how many chapters are written so far, and if it's finished or not. {If it's not a chapter book, then pages. But make sure to put each page in different posts so I can keep track.} There can also be co-author situations, like if you wanted to work on a book with someone else you would ask them either in here or PM them, and if they agree on working with you you can discuss the book, when to publish a chapter here, etc.

Anybody like that idea?

Female
434 posts

wolfkit • 1 January 2018 at 2:03 PM

@animalliterature I really like the Idea! but I think I kinda did that already I could subtract from what I already have on my earlier post.

Female
1,089 posts

animalliterature • 1 January 2018 at 2:10 PM

@wolfkit Okay. Also, there were a lot of confusing punctuation mistakes, and usually, in books, different people speaking are formed in different paragraphs. There were a few spelling mistakes, too. But other than that I think you're off to a great start!

Oh, and don't worry about changing it. For now just see how people like it.

Edit: About the co-author thing, make sure to credit all the authors in the making of each chapter/page.

Female
434 posts

wolfkit • 1 January 2018 at 2:23 PM

@animalliterature Thanks I will fix it.